Doom 3 now available on the Mac App Store
Way, way back in 2004, Doom 3 came to Mac OS X. Performance was something less than stellar, but its arrival on the fairer platform was said to herald a revival of gaming. That didn’t exactly work out, but time wounds all heels and this go ’round Aspyr has ported this classic first person shooter to Snow Leopard and Lion, and the user reviews so far have been good.
Doom 3 is set in 2145 on Mars, where a military-industrial conglomerate has set up a scientific research facility to develop fields such as teleportation, biological research and advanced weapons design. However, the teleportation experiments inadvertently open a gateway to Hell, resulting in a catastrophic invasion by demons — wikipedia
Yup, catastrophic and it’s your job to kill ’em all. DOOM 3 ($9.99) is now available on the Mac App Store, though you will need a bit more than just a basic, entry-level Mac to run it.
• Operating System: 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), 10.7.x (Lion)
• CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.8GHz or faster
• 1GB RAM, 2GB disk space
• Video Card (ATI): Radeon X1600
• Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 7300
• Video Memory (VRam): 128 MB
• Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard
• NOTICE: Integrated video chipsets are not supported [GMA 950 Mac Mini(2006,2007), iMac(2006), Macbook(2006,2007), GMA X3100 Macbook(2007,2008), MacBook Air(2008)]
However, user reports indicate that Intel HD 3000 Graphics are compatible and deliver “smooth as silk” performance. Of course, your mileage may vary, but it seems all recent Macs will perform well enough.
Playing Doom 3 on a Mac running Snow Leopard or Lion? Share your experiences in the comments below…