Facebook 5 for iOS: Faster scrolling, improved navigation
Facebook’s iOS app has been criticized for being slow, balky and not nearly as useful as the website. Using the app on an iPhone has been, quite frankly, a toss up between which is more difficult to use — the app or the website on that 3.5-inch screen. The social network aims to alleviate some of those issues with Facebook 5.
Facebook 5 (free) is now available on the App Store and there are reasons to be hopeful this whole-number update addresses long-standing usability issues.
“We’ve rebuilt the app so it’s faster and easier to use,” writes Facebook of version 5.
New features, improvements:
• Scrolling through news feed is faster than ever
• New banner lets you tap to quickly see more stories – no need to refresh
• Photos open fast and close with one downward swipe
• Instant access to your notifications
• Now coded in iOS native Objective C
For what it’s worth, Facebook 5 on the iPad looks very much like the website, which could be a good thing.
Download Facebook 5 and let us know what works and what still still stinks.