What’s new in iBooks Author 2, iBooks 3
With the introduction of the fourth generation iPad and iPad mini, Apple’s mobile content consumption vision has been updated. Naturally, creation has gotten a complete makeover, as well, with a full slate of new Macs and the release of iBooks Author 2, the company’s free ebook publishing solution.
During Tuesday’s iPad mini keynote, Tim Cook announced that iPad is being used in 2,500 school districts and 80 percent of all high US core curriculum textbooks are already available in the iBooks Store. Further, customers have used the store to download more than 400 million books of all kinds.
With tremendous momentum already building, naturally, Apple is seeking to keep the ball rolling with more powerful ebook publishing software. iBooks Author 2 (free) is now available on the Mac App Store and comes to market with the following features, tweaks and fixes above and below the bonnet:
• Create portrait-only books
• Embed custom fonts into books for complete control over text appearance
• Add even more interactivity with new Scrolling Sidebar and Pop-Over widgets
• Support for mathematical expressions with new native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Automatic optimization of media for iPad
• Improved support for embedded audio, including the ability to play an audio file by tapping an image
• Improved publishing workflow, including automatic sample book creation and pre-publish checking
• Additional Apple-designed templates
• Version numbering for books
• Enhanced to take advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro
• Performance improvements
• Usability improvements
• Requires OS X 10.7.4 or later
iBooks 3: Content delivered
And, to close the circle, here’s Tim Cook introducing the iBooks 3.0 (free) for iPad and iPhone, which delivers the above new features in readable form to readers.
iBooks 3 features:
• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
• Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
• Receive free updates to purchased books—including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
• Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
• Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
• Requires iOS 5 or later
iBooks Author 2 and iBooks 3 are both free and available immediately exclusively for the Mac and iOS, respectively.