Facebook for iOS 5.1 tweaks messaging, adds gifts
Still the most popular app on the iPhone? Haven’t heard that claim in a while. Nevertheless, Facebook for iOS isn’t sitting still and the latest release features improved navigation, tweaked messaging functionality and, yeah, gifts.
Facebook is what you use it for. Regardless, Zuckerberg et al are always trying to funnel users into specific activities and the release of Facebook 5.1 (free) is no exception, which delivers a mix of UI and functional changes mostly centered around messages:
• Swipe left anywhere in the app to quickly see who’s available and send a message
• Add friends you message most to the top of your Favorites
• Share multiple photos fast
• Give real gifts to your friends using Facebook Gifts (US-only)
• When sending messages, see who’s active so you and your friends know how soon to expect a reply
• Optimized for the iPhone 5, 5th gen iPod touch
• Requires iOS 4.3 or later
Anyone want a friendship bracelet? Me neither. Kind of hard to believe gifts are Facebooks’ next big thing.
Do you use the Facebook app or the full website on your iThing? On the iPad, the website is my preferred method of interaction…
What’s your take?