Flash Player 11.5, security; Opera 12.1 offers ML features
Adobe takes Flash security very, very serious. Well, it does now, but didn’t before (so much) and the latest Flash Player release is mostly about stuff for developers. There is an Opera update, too, which finally delivers Mountain Lion features, including Notification Center and integrated sharing.
Adobe has released Flash Player 11.5 (beta note) and perhaps the biggest news is that the company is moving the product to a rapid release schedule:
We are moving to a rapid beta release cycle using “Background Update”. We encourage you to subscribe so you can get the latest and the greatest Flash Player without a single mouse click. You may also subscribe to our Twitter channel @FlashPlayerBeta to stay on top of the current release schedule updates
Yes, that’s for developers as are the functional (i.e. under the hood) changes in this release. As almost always, Flash Player 11.5 is about security — download now.
And, why does the Flash Player installer try to reset my update preferences (above) every time there’s an update? Get over it, Adobe, I’m not going to allow you to automatically install, period — leave the update preference set at “Notify me…” and be done with it, thanks.
The fat lady sings
Opera 12.10 (blog) brings support for OS X Mountain Lion features, including Notification Center and built-in sharing of pages to Facebook, Twitter, and more, and it also comes with Retina Display support. There is other less exciting stuff, as well:
• Internet shortcuts are no longer followed when loaded from inline content
• Fixed an issue that could cause Opera not to correctly check for certificate revocation
• Fixed an issue where CORS requests could incorrectly retrieve contents of cross origin pages
• Fixed an issue where data URIs could be used to facilitate Cross-Site Scripting
• Fixed a high severity issue, as reported by Gareth Heyes; details will be disclosed at a later date
• Fixed an issue where specially crafted SVG images could allow execution of arbitrary code
Download your very own copy of Opera 12.1 here.