Mac Updates: Office 2011 SP3, Mellel 3.1, XBMC 12 ‘Frodo’
Redmond is shipping their latest productivity opus for PC, whatever 2013, and the rest of us get a Mac update — Office 2011 Service Pack 3, yeah! For folks who actually write for a living should, there is Mellel 3.1 and, good gawd, XBMC 12 is out, proving the media center concept will never die.
Microsoft has shipped Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 3 (14.3.0) (release notes), which comes to market with the following tweaks and fixes baked in:
• Meeting invitation times are displayed inaccurately in Outlook. Fixes an issue that causes meeting invitation times from non-Exchange calendar servers to be off by one hour during certain times of the year.
• Slides in collapsed sections cover other slides in Slide Sorter view in PowerPoint. Fixes a display issue that involves collapsed sections in Slide Sorter view.
• Hash tags (#) in hyperlinks aren’t saved correctly in PowerPoint. Fixes an issue in which hyperlinks that contain hash tags (#) aren’t saved correctly.
• Crash occurs when you use Paste Special with a partial table in PowerPoint. Fixes an issue that causes PowerPoint to crash when you use the Paste Special option to copy and paste part of a table.
• RTF text that’s saved in PowerPoint for Windows can’t be pasted into PowerPoint. Fixes an issue in which RTF text that’s saved in PowerPoint for Windows can’t be copied and pasted into PowerPoint for Mac.
Office 2011 SP3 can be downloaded here.
“[T]he industry standard since its inception” is the humble introduction Redlex uses and, well, it’s true and they’ve tweaked the Kool-Aid with the release of Mellel 3.1 (site):
• Bibliography and citation style mapping
• Citation and bibliography Mapping per document
• Improved Template browser
• Easy access to recent documents
• New documents based on template
• Default Language improvement
Mac Media Center
Lastly, the XBMC Foundation has been iterating since 2003(!!!), which is a very long time for any app let alone something so ambitious. And, they’re still shooting for the stars with the release of XBMC 12 “Frodo” (blog, download):
• HD audio support, including DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD, via the new XBMC AudioEngine (OSX/iOS not yet available)
• Live TV and PVR support
• h.264 10bit (aka Hi10P) video software decoding for anime
• 64bit support in OSX to match the 64bit support in Linux
• Improved image support, allowing the database to accomodate numerous additional image types and more interesting and complex skins
XBMC touts their eponymous app as “The ultimate High Definition hub for all your media” and they mean it…
— Adobe Updates: Illustrator 16.0.4, Plus a Passel of InDesign Tweaks
— Mac Updates: Fantastical 1.3.6, Evernote 5.0.5
— Mac Updates: CrossOver 12.1, Things 2.1.1, NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 4
— Acorn 3.5.1: All about bug fixes
— Firefox for Mac: v18.0.1, Firebox 19 B1, SeaMonkey 2.1.5 Now Available