OS X 10.10 Yosemite: New in Developer Preview 3
Chug-chug-chugging along. OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 3 isn’t particularly ambitious, yet there is still plenty to go over, including Dark Mode, updated QuickTime icon and more.
• Dark Mode – Dark Mode is now officially available
— To enable Dark Mode, go to System Preferences > General > Theme > select “Dark”
• Interface tweaks – System Preferences, Mail and iCloud Preferences have all been tweaked, including a new font in Notification Center and Safari favorites bar
• QuickTime icon (above) and FontBook icon
• Settings – Continuity/AirDrop settings have been removed from the System Report. Also, removed the “Allow Handoff between this Mac…” toggle in System Preferences
• FaceTime Audio and Video now have separate tabs
• Time Machine is now very, very minimal
OS X Yosemite DP3: Reaction
Because OS X Yosemite and, specifically, Dark Mode are still in beta, some Apple and third-party icons in the menu look like crappola. Specifically, clicking WiFi yields an unreadable list of local networks. Mousing over the local WiFi networks list makes them readable.
Regarding the Time Machine makeover, the considered opinion of the web is that it’s fugly. An equally subjective, though more positive response to OS X Yosemite DP3 is that Safari 8 is snappier.
For what it’s worth, some users are reporting that Adobe After Effects is functional again.
To download a full-size, unedited version of the new QuickTime (above) and FontBook icons for OS X Yosemite, please click through.
Have an opinion about DP3 or OS X Yosemite? Sound off in the comments below…
— ClamXav 2.6.4: Engine Update, OS X 10.10 Yosemite Tweaks
— New in OS X Yosemite: System Information 10.10
— OS X Yosemite Screensaver, Wallpapers
— New OS X 10.10 Yosemite Icons [Download ‘em]!
— Mac Finder Icon Evolution: From 1984 through OS X Yosemite
— Can My Mac Run OS X 10.10? Plus Yosemite Release Notes
— WWDC Wallpapers: OS X 10.10 Yosemite Desktops, iOS 8 Lockscreen Images
— Dislike the New White Trash Can Icon? Change It!